Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Lapeer West's Troy Hillman wins Congressional Art Award


Lapeer West High School senior Troy Hillman said he “was more than excited to find out” he won first place in the U.S. Congressional Art Show.

“Troy’s piece will be matted, framed and be on display in the Cannon Tunnel at the U.S. Capitol for the next year,” said Nancy Barry, Hillman’s teacher. “When next year’s eight graders travel to Washington, D.C. they will be able to see his artwork on display there.”

“I made the piece using charcoal pencils,” Troy said. “I love the contrast you can create with the pencils while also having subtle grays to smooth out the piece. The medium can also be quite messy, but it’s exciting to take your time and be careful with the drawing.”

U.S. Representative Candace Miller is flying Troy to the Capitol for the awards ceremony.

Troy plans to attend the Art Institute of Chicago, School of the Arts, next fall.

“I’m not exactly sure of what I want to pursue there, but as long as I’m creating artwork, I’ll be happy,” Troy said. “It makes me feel good as an artist to have people enjoy my artwork as well as being recognized for it.”

No comments: