Thursday, March 25, 2010

Lapeer West High School creative writing class produces book of student work

Students in Lapeer West teacher Dawn Summerlee’s Creative Writing Class receive more than just a grade at the end of each trimester, they end up with a book with the best of the class’s collective works.

The current volume, “Writing from Inside,” includes art work and each student’s favorite poem and short story from the winter trimester.

The books have proven popular with students and a little extra incentive to put in a little extra effort.

“This class challenged me to write in a different way, it challenged me to think in a different way,” said Micah Corlew, a West student who recently took the class. “I developed a few writing skills in that period, but more importantly, I developed character. The best part is the end-of-the-trimester anthology. I hope to see this class offered again and again for years to come. It was one of my best high school experiences.”

Three students, Gabby Koerner, Grace Koerner and Jade Cremer produced a short, emotional video on Haiti for their final exam.

Previous volumes include, “Write from the heart,’” and “All Writes Reserved.”