Thursday, May 19, 2011

East’s Turczyn is state’s top 3-point shooter

Lapeer East Senior Keely Turczyn has been named to the Basketball Coaches Association of Michigan's Top Shooter Award. During the 2010-2011 basketball season, Keely shot 41 three-point field goals out of 84 attempts for a 48.8% average.

Keely was awarded first place as she recorded the top 3-point field goal percent in the state of Michigan.

“I think its definitely an honor and especially because it’s my senior year,” Turczyn told a reporter after earning her recognition. “All my hard work has paid off. I didn’t know coach put me up for the award, but I wanted to thank my coach and team for such an awesome year. I know it’s an individual honor, but everyone played a part in what I accomplished.”

Turczyn says she is headed to Central Michigan for academics. “I wasn’t sure which college I wanted to go to, but just liked the college after considering a bunch of them. I’m undecided at this point about what I might major in.”

Keely also received 2nd-Team All Metro League Honors for the 2010-2011 Basketball Season. She is three-year varsity player. Keely was a team captain, led the team in assists, led the team in 3-point field goal percentage, averaged 9.7 pts. per game, and started all 20 games.

Lapeer East Varsity Girls Basketball Coach Phil Widzinski said, “I could not be more proud of Keely. She put a lot of hard work into this past season.”

Noting her strong leadership on and off the court, the coach added, “We could not have accomplished some of the things we did as team without Keely. She was a lights-out shooter that I could count on hitting the big shot when we needed it." Widzinski noted that in the East-West matchup this year, Keely hit a 3-pointer with 1 second left to win the game.

“This is a very prestigious award, and her teammates are proud of her,” he said.